SIX weeks after a severe asthma attack and an allergic reaction took 13-year-old Sam ‘Snowy’ Smith away from them, his grieving family and Sunshine Beach High school mates said goodbye the best way they knew how to last Friday morning.
They met at Access 12 on Noosa’s Main Beach to remember all the good times shared with this popular teenager, then paddled out in a farewell circle.
After the flowers were thrown into a memorial ring of boards, and their last respects paid, the group of mourners, including dad Colin, went surfing for more than 90 minutes.
“We all made a circle out there and said our goodbyes,” Colin said.
“It would have been better if Sam was there – we know he was of course in spirit – but it wasn’t the same.
“It meant a lot for everyone to gather there and say their farewells.”
Colin and Sam’s mum Sharryn are obviously still distraught about how quickly Sam’s life was snatched away.
Full-on outdoors fun with his best friends and caring for his two younger twin siblings Joshua and Imogen, went hand-in-hand with Sam, who was having the time of his young life since moving up from Brisbane to live with his dad two years ago.
“He loved his surfing, but he was scared of sharks,” Colin said on Friday.
According to Sharryn, Sam had been bright as could be on Friday, April 1 when she drove him back to Brisbane to spend the weekend with her as he regularly did.
Sharryn, in a moving tribute said it was “a normal afternoon with Sam. The twins and I picked him up from school and planned our weekend on the way home….not knowing that we would only have six hours with him before he suffered an anaphylactic reaction at 9pm.
“Our one-and-a-half hour drive home would be conversations about anything and everything from scientific facts, to what he did on the bus going to and from school – he would talk about what he wanted to do in life,” she said.
“In that six hours he played on the tramp(oline) with the twins, he bathed and dressed the twins”.
Sam even put them to bed, read them a story and “kissed and hugged them for the last time”.
Sharryn said afterwards she, husband Grant and Sam had watched a movie before their world was rocked to the core.
Colin said Sam had suffered a massive asthma attack which was complicated by an allergic reaction to medication and possibly prawns he had eaten.
“He collapsed and stopped breathing – his mother performed CPR on him until the ambulance arrived, but he had suffered from lack of oxygen to the brain,” Colin said.
Sharryn said: “My last six hours with my beautiful boy will be cherished and remembered always and forever and I feel blessed to know he was loved and gave love.
“Sammy died peacefully at the Royal Children’s Hospital in the arms of myself, his dad, sister Jess and surrounded by his loving family at 2.32pm on Tuesday, April 5.
“He was our very special beautiful, beautiful boy. He was loved, he is loved and will be loved by us all forever. See you in our dreams.”
Sharryn said even as a kindy kid, Sam was “the protector of other kids – kind, compassionate, caring and always looking out for his mates”.
She said after moving to the Coast, Sam “totally loved this change in his life ... the outdoors, fishing with his dad, surfing, the beach”, while the best part about school was being with his friends Daniel, Brendan, Baylee, Jake and his girlfriend Gemma.
* Long term tenant who wishes to stay * Four bedrooms, two bathrooms, rendered block and tile * Large family/living room, covered patio at rear * Position allows...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.