News

Qld court hands down order to freeze fraudster's assets

ALMOST $13 million in assets belonging to former Queensland Health employee Hohepa Hikairo "Joel" Morehu-Barlow, including gifts he gave to friends and colleagues, has been frozen.

The Brisbane Supreme Court granted its ninth and final restraining order in the case - this time restraining more than 150 items such as a tablet computer, Blu-ray disc player, jewellery, designer clothes and cash - on Thursday.

The fake Tahitian prince is awaiting trial accused of swindling $16 million from the government department while working there between 2007 and 2011.

Crime and Misconduct Commission acting financial investigations director Angela Pyke said it was one of the largest proceeds of crime matters the organisation had dealt with, totalling $12,087,352 worth of assets since last December.

"This has been a unique case because of the size and nature of the alleged public sector fraud," she said.

"It is unusual to restrain smaller items such as clothing, homewares and accessories.

"However, because this alleged crime involved a substantial amount of public money, the CMC believed it was in the public interest to restrain all property, regardless of value, in order to recover every dollar possible.

"This ensures that as much money as possible is returned to public coffers.

"It also acts as a deterrent by sending potential offenders a message that the state can and will recover the proceeds of their crimes."

The Supreme Court also has granted the Public Trustee permission to sell a long list of Morehu-Barlow's belongings - including artworks, furniture, appliances and jewellery - that were frozen under previously obtained restraining orders.

The proceeds will still belong to Morehu-Barlow but will be held in trust until a court orders that they be forfeited to the state.

The CMC is also preparing a public report arising from its investigation into how the fraud was handled when allegations came to light.

It will be released after court proceedings involving Mr Morehu-Barlow are finalised.

Ms Pyke said the CMC had recently reached a milestone, having successfully had more than $40 million worth of assets forfeited to the state since the confiscation legislation came into force in 2002.

Topics:  assets, brisbane supreme court, cmc, crime, fraud, hohepa morehu-barlow, queensland health


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Strategic move to open locally

The NAI Harcourts Noosa team.

Noosa Harcourts open

Under-18s Pirates are bound to thrive

The winning Pirates soak up the post match atmosphere.

Noosa Pirates stick to their guns

Tigers win praise from beaten coach

ON THE FIELD: The Noosa Tigers were in fine form on Saturday.

Noosa Tigers make their mark

Latest deals and offers

Laguna Real Estate wins two national awards

Noosa’s Laguna Real Estate have taken out top honours in categories Major Independent of the Year – four or more offices and Property Manager of the Year.

Strategic move to open locally

The NAI Harcourts Noosa team.

Noosa Harcourts open

Under-18s Pirates are bound to thrive

The winning Pirates soak up the post match atmosphere.

Noosa Pirates stick to their guns

Tigers win praise from beaten coach

ON THE FIELD: The Noosa Tigers were in fine form on Saturday.

Noosa Tigers make their mark

Relics enjoy the ride at First Point

Kate Perry shows real real grace out at First Point for the Wrecks & Relics comp.

Oldies are goodies in Noosa Surf

Media students look to the future

WORK EXPERIENCE: Up and coming future journalists Madison Beaufort and Finn Blake, from Good Shepherd Lutheran College, experienced the broadcast media industry.

Studying to be media players

Dash Cam of Slip in Snow

Even light snow can be hazardous.

Dash cam shows how easy it is to lose control in even light snow.

Chaos outside Istanbul Airport

Turkish police block the road after an suicide bomb attack at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, 28 June 2016. At least 10 people were killed in two separate explosions that hit Ataturk Airport.

Distress as cars escape Istanbul airport after bombing.

Panic inside Istanbul Airport

Turkish police block the road after an suicide bomb attack at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, 28 June 2016. At least 10 people were killed in two separate explosions that hit Ataturk Airport.

Dramatic vision from inside Istanbul airport after explosin.

Not all property insurance policies are equal

Why you need to double check your insurance policy

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four