A DANGEROUS Rockhampton rapist, released after more than 13 years in jail for sexually attacking three strangers in a six-month rampage, was caught masturbating in a shopping centre car park in January.
A 20-year-old woman saw Peter Scott Griffin masturbating on January 3 at Stockland in North Rockhampton, resulting in his readmission to jail for another three months' for committing an indecent act in a public place and contravening his supervision order.
Now the 45-year-old is to be released again, first to Wacol at Ipswich for treatment under a Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act order, but he then plans to return to Rockhampton.
Psychiatrist Scott Harden told Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday that Griffin, who had a hatred of women, felt sexual impulses when he was under stress.
He said Griffin recognised he was at high risk of reoffending in January so he had masturbated to relieve the sexual tension he felt.
Dr Harden said Griffin appreciated that was not the ideal way to cope but at least he was recognising the risk. He said it would be worrying behaviour if there was an element of the exhibitionism Griffin had displayed when he was younger.
The psychiatrist said getting the balance right between supervision and one-on-one counselling was critical to Griffin's release. He said Griffin's sexual behaviour was more likely to be based on previous trauma and sexual abuse than libido.
Psychiatrist Josephine Sundin said Griffin used sex as a way to cope with "negative emotionality" and impulsivity. She said he must complete the sexual offender maintenance program on release and have independent psychiatric treatment to reduce his risk of reoffending.
Roberta Embrey, who manages high-risk prisoners within Queensland Corrective Services, said the program was offered at Ipswich, Brisbane and Logan but was not available in Rockhampton. She said if Griffin wanted to return to Rockhampton, officials would work with him to find appropriate support there.
Justice Martin Daubney said psychiatrists' suggestion of treating Griffin with an anti-libido drug should be explored when he began treatment on release.
- February 14, 1998: Grabs 17yo girl from behind and drags her from a North Rockhampton street at 8.15pm, over a guard rail onto a bush hill. He sexually assaults her and restrains her by choking.
- May 24, 1998: 23yo woman is followed as she walks between two hotels in the Rocky CBD at 12.25pm and attacked from behind. Griffin flees when two men on a hotel balcony yell out.
- May 24, 1998: About an hour later an 18yo woman is punched to the ground and raped.
- July 21, 1998: Young woman is robbed and sexually assaulted on a Rockhampton street. Griffin restrains her by choking. Police take down a number plate and catch him.
- July 8, 2011: Griffin was put on a continuing detention order, beyond his fulltime release date after 13 years' jail.
- October 29, 2012: Released on a DPSOA supervision order with strict conditions.
- January 3, 2013: Contravened condition not to reoffend when a woman saw him masturbating in a public car park at North Rockhampton.
Built in 1914, this 2 bedroom workers cottage sits on 909sqm block with mountain views. This quaint home has original character features with TandG walls for a...
Opportunity to buy into a dress circle street with prestige waterfront homes, without being a millionaire! This delightful lowset home in blue chip Chelsea...
Lifestyle, location and leisure; this home offers it all with a north facing expansive alfresco poolside entertaining area plus a location close to beaches...
Interest rates remain on hold at historic lows and with a new financial year just begun; it's time to invest in your first home or to add to your property...
Positioned on a well established fenced 786 m2 block, is this newly renovated home, complete with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a modern kitchen, alfresco...
- Low maintenance rendered brick and tile Currimundi home - Separate living and dining areas with open plan kitchen - Huge master with ensuite, separate entrance...
This is the perfect home to put down roots and raise your family. With indoor and outdoor living spaces overlooking the pool, this is the obvious choice of venue...
This home is ideal if you enjoy entertaining and are after a low maintenance yard. The open plan kitchen and living / dining areas are the social hub of this home.
Enjoy the many luxuries of this private and impressive residence situated in beautiful Mons on the Sunshine Coast. Set on 6,330m2, this resort style residence...
First home buyers seeking to enter the market without over-committing themselves to a crippling mortgage, need to start somewhere...and this well presented ground...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.