10 reasons to marry a journalist
AN ARTICLE on the Daily Mercury website this week had me chuckling - titled '10 reasons to marry a truckie'.
It included puns such as 'they're in it for the long haul, they always deliver the goods and they know how to work their tools'.
It got me thinking about my job - one that often gets a bad rap as being one of the worst jobs someone can have. But for me, I think it's a plus. So I hereby bring you 10 reasons to marry a journalist:
1) We're a font of knowledge. Too lazy to keep up with the latest news? We'll keep you in the loop, even if you don't want to hear about it.
2) We're awesome trivia partners.
3) We're never home! Late deadlines and long hours mean you'll basically feel like you're living the single life. Winning.
4) We're great listeners. It's our job to pay attention and report accurately; so don't feel weird if we ask you to spell out your surname for our records mid-conversation.
5) We're excellent multi-taskers. Who else could update the newspaper's Facebook page, respond to an email and order a pizza for date night all at the same time?
6) Don't know who to vote for in upcoming elections? Never fear! We know all the ins and outs about each candidate's take on policies and can present a PowerPoint presentation so you can make an informed decision.
7) A free newspaper subscription. Okay, so I'm running out of reasons. Doesn't mean it isn't a valid plus.
8) Our job has its perks! Tickets to a weekend festival, band or comedy act or taking in a tourist adventure in the name of a promotional story is all in a day's work.
9) We're live-in proofreaders! Updating your CV or mulling over an epic Facebook status? We'll make sure there aren't any embarrassing typos before you hit send.
10) We're not obsessed about money. As journalists, we earn a pittance, so we have very low expectations when it comes to living the high life. A bottle of wine that costs more than $10 and a non-home brand cheese is a sure fire way to a journalist's heart.
And finally, just because I can, here's an inspiring clip from The Newsroom which proves we have a pretty awesome - and important - job in bringing you the news every day.