Strippers help bowl up bucket-list bonanza
ADD a dozen or so unabashed beauties to a sun-soaked bowling green and wallets miraculously abandon their pockets.
The fool-proof fundraising recipe drew in teams from Toowoomba businesses to help critically-ill Toowoomba woman Tina Mullins tick off her bucket list.
Organised by The Vault on Ruthven nightclub, Friday's charity benefit at the Toowoomba City Bowls Club raised $5000, a few heartrates and the spirits of the Mullins family.
A donation from 4GR radio station also means Tina will finally live her dream of swimming with dolphins.
"We had a fantastic time. It was an unbelievable day," husband Shane said.
"We've been given VIP tickets to all the Gold Coast theme parks to use before June next year."
Brendon Smith from Smithy's Gym is in talks with a sponsor to get the family a bigger car to make transport less of a hassle.
The day was inspired by a Letter to the Editor from Shane to The Chronicle in which he described Tina's battle.
A surgical error in 2001 caused an unceasingly painful nerve disorder called reflex sympathetic dystrophy which spread to her entire body.
She has lived through seizures, strokes and a rare blood disease which will eventually take her life.
But she was nothing but smiles.
"I'm happy. I love life. I can't believe all this has been done for me," Tina said.
Management at The Vault on Ruthven are working to keep ticking off the bucket list.
Tina's bucket list
- Swim with the dolphins
- Renew my wedding vows
- Visit Movie World and Dreamworld
- See a male strip show
- Trade in our car to get a second-hand RAV4 or CRV so it is easier for me to get in and out (talks underway)
- Raise awareness for genetic blood diseases that lead to a stroke
Still to go:
- Visit Coober
- Pedy Reunite with my daughter
- See Shane meet Mark Skaife
- Meet Damien Leith and thank him for his inspiring music
- Own another chihuahua
- Have a honeymoon
- Live long enough to see Rochele and Dylan get married
- Find a disability-suitable rental house
- Get much-needed medical aids
Businesses helping out to tick off the list:
- Smithy's Gym
- The Vault on Ruthven
- Toowoomba Quality Meats
- Cougar Seafood
- The Spotted Cow
- Betros Bros
- Sheriff Electrical