Backpacker 'set fire to man's costume'

A WELSH tourist accused of setting a fellow backpacker alight in an ill-planned party prank on the weekend will have to extend his Australian visit indefinitely.

As his alleged victim underwent emergency surgery at a Sydney hospital on Monday, the 30-year-old was charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm.

Police allege the Welshman was at a party at Manly when he set fire to part of a toilet paper costume being worn by a 31-year-old French backpacker.

The entire costume caught fire and the victim was taken to hospital with burns to his neck and arms.

He remained in hospital in a serious but stable condition yesterday.

The accused was granted bail and ordered to front a Manly court on Wednesday, September 19.

Topics:  fire grievous bodily harm

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.