Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.
Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.

Batteries thrown in bin spark tip fire

RESIDENTS have been urged not to throw batteries in the bin after two fires broke out at the Ballina tip earlier in the month.

Ballina Shire Council said on September 16, "two fires broke out at the Waste Management Centre caused by batteries in kerbside bins".

The council said to drop off household batteries to the Community Recycling Centre, at the Waste Management Centre (167 Southern Cross Drive) or at one of the Community Recycling Stations at the Ballina Council Customer Service Centre, Alstonville Cultural Centre, Ballina Library and Lennox Cultural Centre.

Battery recycling centres are also located at some supermarkets and Battery World stores.

"Please DO NOT put batteries in your waste or recycling kerbside bins. Battery fires can be dangerous and can cause serious damage and large scale air pollution."


No con-Fusion here, Cooroy family fest is back

Premium Content No con-Fusion here, Cooroy family fest is back

There are signs of life returning to almost normal with the Fusion comeback.

‘Gentle giant with huge heart’: Shock death of police officer

Premium Content ‘Gentle giant with huge heart’: Shock death of police...

Officer died suddenly at his family's Sunshine Coast home.

Biosphere blazes a trail for eco-tourism

Premium Content Biosphere blazes a trail for eco-tourism

A master plan has been delivered for eight hinterland eco-tourism experiences.