Buderim's food street spat continues
THE spat between council and Buderim's food street shows no sign of reconciliation, as advocates of the veggie patch project continue to push back against demands for permits and public liability insurance.
A number of well-known Australian personalities have weighed in on the controversy, including One Nation senator Pauline Hanson and ABC celebrity gardener Costa Georgiadis, both of whom made vocal appeals to council for non-intervention.
Visiting with state MP Steve Dickon on Friday, Ms Hanson called for councillors pushing for permits to step down from local government.
"I'll tell you now, if you're one of these councillors, you want to do this, then get out of the job because you're not representing the people,” she said.
"This is what the people want, and I have spoken to a few here. They love this, this is environmentally friendly, it's a community thing.”
Last week, Mr Georgiadis also visited the street and claimed council intervention would negatively impact the myriad of health and social benefits the veggie patches fostered.
"Here you have an eight-year-old project. It's not on a waterfront or high traffic tourist area,” he said.
"You have a community actually doing what a community is meant to be doing, engaging and then you get an action like that.
"It is bringing fear and uncertainty to a project that has been bringing community cohesiveness, connection, health and real interaction.”
Mr Dickson himself released a video supporting the project, and said he's furious that the council aren't listening to the people.
"This is just another example of the government going against the wishes of the people,” he said.
"I'm so proud of what the people on urban food street have done, and I'm going to do everything I can to keep it that way.”
However, Division 7 councillor Ted Hungerford said he was disappointed at some residents' reaction to letters sent early in December requesting the necessary paperwork.
"We're wanting to work with residents but we're finding there's just a few hard-liners who want to have a blue with the council,” he said.
"We want them to keep doing what they're doing, but also keep it safe for people wanting to walk on the footpath.
"I think it's a great initiative, absolutely wonderful, but we need a bit of common sense.
"Because it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' an incident happens.”
The Urban Food Street project has maintained that "permits kill participation”, and previously said that no other bureaucratic-led project has enjoyed the success they have achieved.