Chamber backs ‘scaled-back’ Noosa Triathlon
A peak business body has thrown its support behind the Noosa Triathlon planned for November to help revive the local economy.
Noosa Chamber of Commerce and Industry incoming president Rob Neely is backing the stance of local business associations as Noosa Council meets this morning to consider limiting all events to less than 500.
Mr Neely said the chamber fully supports the collective agreement from the Noosaville Business Association Noosaville, Noosa Junction Association and the Hastings Street Association for a scaled-back event, worked out with event organiser Ironman.
"The chamber and the precinct associations note that Noosa recently experienced more than 5000 rooms filled, excluding Airbnbs over the Ekka long weekend and therefore this demonstrates we continue to operate safely within the ongoing risk of COVID," Mr Neely said.
"An Ironman COVID-safe event is significantly more manageable than the transient movement of the general public over the Ekka long weekend and as such we are satisfied that all public health required will not only be met but exceeded."
The chamber and business associations have discussed the revised event with Ironman and with support based on the following points:
• Significantly reduced competitor numbers of 3500
• No VIP or event spectator stands
• No spectators in key locations to minimise large clusters and allow for
• All spectators, workforce and athletes educated on personal hygiene and to stay at home if they experience COVID-19 like symptoms
• Hand sanitiser and hand wash stations in key locations
• The understanding that the State Government COVID Safe Event Plan is approved and delivered
• Ensure volume and frequency of event shuttle buses and Noosa ferry allows for COVID safe movement to minimises groups of athletes and spectators congregating
• Event village and registration restricted to competitors only and in scheduled collection periods.
Mr Neely said the business groups understand the degree of measured risk that Noosa Council needs to undertake when reviewing the application for this event permit.
He thanked the Noosa Council staff for explaining the councuil's position.