Mum slams Maccas for not cutting up grapes
McDONALD'S has been slammed by an incensed mother for not cutting up grapes contained in children's Happy Meal fruit bags.
The mother took to Mumsnet, UK's popular parenting forum, to question why the fruit, which she deemed a choking hazard, was not sliced up.
Writing under the username "vandrew4" the mum wrote: "Got the DC [dear child] a happy meal at the weekend and got a bag of fruit with it. I was genuinely shocked that the grapes weren't cut up.
"Surely a meal specifically for children should have the grapes cut up?
"Am I being unreasonable to send an email asking why the hell they have such a well known chocking [sic] risk being sold to thousands of small children?"
The thread, which has since been deleted, sparked a furious debate online.
While some agreed with the mother's stance, many parents hit back, claiming she should do the cutting up herself.
One user wrote: "Surely it's for parents to cut up the grapes for their kids? It's not like a child young enough to choke on a grape wouldn't be supervised while eating anyway."
Another responded: "TBH if your child does not know how to eat a grape, I think you have the problem, not McDonald's. What happens when they enter the real world and grapes are sold whole in the supermarket?"
One user added: "If your kid can eat a chicken nugget they can eat a grape!"
Speaking to Femail the fast food chain said: "Our apple and grape bags have been available in the UK since 2003 and are a very popular choice with children and parents alike.
"We have explored a pre-sliced grape with our suppliers, but have found that they can deteriorate quickly. We believe that we have taken a balanced and responsible approach by clearly informing customers purchasing a McDonald's fruit bag of the potential risks associated with this type of food, and provide advice on how to avoid those risks.
"This safety advice was reviewed and made more prominent just last year. Each bag contains the following message: CAUTION! Whole grapes and pieces of apple can present a choking hazard to small children. Cut or break fruit into small pieces. Always supervise young children when they are eating."
News.com.au has contacted McDonald's for further comment.
This isn't the first time the fast food chain's grapes have come under fire.
A few years ago, a Change.org petition was started by Elaine McGarvie in an attempt to get grapes removed from McDonald's and Pizza Hut fruit bags.
On the website she wrote: "I would like to see grapes removed from the little fruit bags given to children in their kids' meals.
"Grapes are one of the most difficult foods to remove from the throat due to their size and shape. If a full grape becomes lodged in the throat it will completely constrict the airway and the chance of survival is slim.
"The sad and scary thing is people are not aware of this and give their children these little fruit bags as a healthy little snack, unaware what a hazard they can be."
The petition only received seven supporters.