Chris Rock 'so glad' to be hosting Oscars
CHRIS Rock is "so glad" to be hosting the 2016 Oscars for the second time at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday, February 28.
The 50-year-old comedian, who previously presented the prestigious awards ceremony in 2005, can't wait to take on the job for the second time at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday, February 28.
Shortly after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the news, he said: "I'm so glad to be hosting the Oscars. It's great to be back."
The actor also posted a photograph of himself clutching an Oscar statue on his social media profiles, with the caption: "Look who is back. #Oscars"
Chris caused controversy when famously insulted a string of stars, including Jude Law, Colin Farrell and Tobey Maguire, at the event 10 years ago.
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly shortly beforehand, he also dismissed it as nothing more than "a fashion show."
He said: "Come on, it's a fashion show. No one performs; it's not like a music show. What straight black man sits there and watches the Oscars? Show me one."
Rumours first began swirling earlier this week that organisers had entered serious talks with the 'Madagascar' star to present the upcoming 88th annual ceremony.
In a statement, the show's producers David Hill and Reginald Hudlin said: "Chris Rock is truly the MVP [Most Valuable Player] of the entertainment industry. Comedian, actor, writer, producer, director, documentarian - he's done it all. He's going to be a phenomenal Oscar host!"
The Academy's CEO Dawn Hudson added: "Chris may be best known as a stand-up comic, but we think of him as a creative innovator in many other ways. He is unafraid in his artistry. We couldn't be happier to welcome him back to the Oscars."