GRAND PLANS: The proposed playground site in front of Cooroy Library.
GRAND PLANS: The proposed playground site in front of Cooroy Library. Alan Lander

Cooroy park talk 'wide of mark'

MAYOR Tony Wellington has sought to clarify some misleading information concerning the proposed Hinterland Adventure Playground at Cooroy.

Design and planning work is progressing, with a $2.8million grant from the Queensland Government, and council is stepping up plans for further community discussions on the nature-based playground.

Cr Wellington said that recent commentary about costs and funding for the project had been very wide of the mark.

"The fact is the State Government grant, through the Local Government Grants and Subsidies Program, provides 60 per cent of the funding, with council required to contribute the remaining 40per cent ($1.12m)," he said.

"Together, those funds will provide not only a unique playground, but also additional parking, an amenities block and other infrastructure improvements for Cooroy."

The design of the playground is still under way, with architects progressing designs in consultation with project staff, the mayor said.

"The playground has been on council's to-do list for some years. It has consistently appeared in our Operational and Corporate Plans, and there has been a good deal of dialogue with community representatives," he said.

"Discussions about a playground in this space actually go back to the early 2000s when a master plan was developed for the Mill Place precinct.

"Key community groups were briefed about the nature playground idea over a year ago, and a community reference group was established late last year.

"That group of local representatives will continue to meet on a monthly basis, allowing council to receive feedback as the designs progress. The participants can also disseminate information on progress of the project. Council remains committed to keeping the community informed."

The project would also incorporate 60 new car parks as well as a number of improvements to the neighbouring road network.

"Plus there will be a new amenities block, something that the local Chamber of Commerce have been asking for, as well as a safer pedestrian crossing near the library," the mayor said.

"The final adventure playground will be a terrific asset for local families, adding a new community meeting place and healthy outdoor focus for their children. The facility will also have positive benefits for the local businesses.

"It's difficult to provide an exact completion date, but we would like to see the project ready by the end of the 2020-21 financial year. This coming financial year should see tenders awarded and work begun on the new car spaces."


Tourism campaign supports Coast after bushfires

premium_icon Tourism campaign supports Coast after bushfires

Following the recent bushfires that impacted our community Visit Sunshine Coast has...

Call for ferry subsidy on river won’t wash

premium_icon Call for ferry subsidy on river won’t wash

Noosa Council not keen of a ferry travel subsidy to help clear Hastings St...

Radio silence from coroner as Kirra inquest mystery remains

premium_icon Radio silence from coroner as Kirra inquest mystery remains

The Queensland Coroner has continued its refusal to explain over four years of...