Diego and his doctor dude.
Diego and his doctor dude.

Diego’s doctor investigated for manslaughter

Diego Maradona's doctor was on Monday being investigated for involuntary manslaughter four days after the Argentina legend suffered a fatal heart attack, the Argentine news agency Telam reported.

Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence, according to television images and judicial sources, the agency reported.

Maradona's long-term doctor and lawyer have criticised the Argentine legend's medical care before his death.

Maradona, 60, suffered a heart attack at his home in a private residential estate in the outskirts of Buenos Aires, where he had been living since having brain surgery two weeks ago.

In a stinging statement released on Thursday night, lawyer Matias Morla claimed the first ambulance took half an hour to arrive as attempts to revive the football great failed.

Morla branded the delay "criminal idiocy".

"Today is a day of deep pain, sadness and reflection," he wrote.

"I feel in my heart the departure of a friend whom I honoured with my loyalty and companionship until his last days. I made my farewell with him in person and the wake should be an intimate occasion.

"It is inexplicable that for 12 hours my friend has not had attention or control from the legal health personnel.

"The ambulance took more than half an hour to arrive, which was CRIMINAL IDIOCY.

"This fact should not be overlooked and I am going to ask that the consequences be investigated until the end. As Diego said, 'You are my soldier, act without mercy'."

Maradona's long-term doctor Alfredo Cahe has also questioned the decision to move the Argentina icon from hospital on November 11 following his brain operation.

 

 

Cahe was Maradona's doctor for more than 30 years and the man behind the decision to take him to Cuba in 2000 to treat his cocaine addiction.

He told Argentine news show Telefe Noticias: "Diego wasn't looked after as he should have been.

"He should have been kept in hospital, not taken to a house which wasn't properly prepared.

"I'm in a state of complete shock. I've had so many ups and downs with Diego for 33 years and he's just died in an unusual way.

"I have a lot of doubts. I don't know why he was taken to that house.

"When he left hospital it didn't seem logical to me. He should have stayed in a place with a good infrastructure, like when we took him to Cuba."

Cahe visited the 1986 World Cup winner while he was at Clinica Olivos on the outskirts of Buenos Aires following his recent operation for a bleed on the brain.

- AFP, The Sun

Originally published as Diego's doctor investigated for manslaughter


FULL LIST: Noosa Magistrates Court appearances today

Premium Content FULL LIST: Noosa Magistrates Court appearances today

Here is a list of matters listed at Noosa Magistrates Court

True cost of an education in Qld revealed

Premium Content True cost of an education in Qld revealed

Private, public, independent: Full breakdown of Aus education costs

Patient zero to heroes: Our first year of COVID-19

Premium Content Patient zero to heroes: Our first year of COVID-19

Coronavirus Qld: One year on from start of pandemic