A PARAGLIDER who broke his legs when he crashed in the Glass House Mountains today was reportedly struggling with his parachute when the accident happened. 

Acting officer in charge of Beerwah Ambulance Station Lee Wwooden spoke to the Daily immediately after a successful rescue, which saw the 35-year-old winched to a helicopter and flown to Nambour General Hospital shortly after 2.20pm.  

"He mainly sustained injuries to his lower limbs," Mr Wwooden said. 

"I believe he had trouble with his paragliding chute. 

"Witnesses said they've seen him coming over the trees, caught a tree, and subsequently fell." 

He was in good spirits when being rescued, Mr Wwooden said. 

"It was fortunate that his injuries were only to his lower limbs," he said.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman later confirmed the man suffered "multiple fractures" to his legs and is being treated in hospital. 

UPDATE: 2.21pm

The injured paraglider has been successfully winched to safety and he will now be transported to Nambour General Hospital. 

The rescue attempt involved more than 15 emergency service personnel.

UPDATE 2.15pm

The rescue helicopter has dropped equipment and left the scene for five minutes while ambulance crews and fire and rescue officers attach a harness to the injured paraglider without the downdraft caused by the chopper's blades. 

Emergency services on scene at a paraglider crash
Emergency services on scene at a paraglider crash Nicky Moffat Journalist

UPDATE: 1.45pm

Emergency services have assessed the injured paraglider and as the terrain is steep have decided to send the helicopter to retrieve him.

He is understood to be on the ground in a hard to reach place.

The chopper is now being prepared for its first drop of equipment.

"We'll go in and install some stuff, then we'll go back a second time and winch him out," RACQ life flight officer David Smith said.


EMERGENCY services are at the scene of a paraglider crash.

At about 12.30pm, a paraglider crashed just off Bradenburg Rd and Hovard Rd at Bald Knob.

Early reports suggest the victim has suffered multiple injuries.

Residents of a nearby property reported that there was a group of paragliders flying in the area, when one went off course.

Peter and Fleur Adamson said they had never seen anything like this before.

"He obviously got below the tree-line and he must have gone too low and ... (hit)  the tree," Peter said.

"They said if the rescue guys can't get to him they have the chopper as the ultimate means of extracting him."

"They were flying very low. They were waving to us," Fleur said.

"We saw him over the top but we didn't see it happen. 

"We knew he was too low."

It's understood that paraglider has injured their leg and arm.

Emergency services are on scene and a rescue helicopter has been called.

Stuck at home? Here’s one way you can ‘escape’

premium_icon Stuck at home? Here’s one way you can ‘escape’

Business owner’s exciting innovation means you can still get your escape room fix...

LOW BLOW: Noosa resort kicked while they’re down

premium_icon LOW BLOW: Noosa resort kicked while they’re down

As if Noosa tourism businesses don’t have enough to contend with, police have...

Mayor defeated on development vote

premium_icon Mayor defeated on development vote

Council meeting closed for legal reasons as ‘sensitive’ subdivision is knocked...