Dog owners are being warned that the mushrooms that have popped up on lawns and parklands across southeast Queensland following the recent rain event can kill.

While not all fungi are toxic it can be difficult to tell those that are dangerous to pets, so Brisbane veterinarian Dr Joshua Llinas advises dog owners to keep a close eye on their fur babies.

Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.
Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.

"It is vital that if a dog has eaten a mushroom and is showing signs of being unwell and vomiting that they are taken immediately to the vet," he said.

"Fast detox is essential in these cases. Once absorbed some of these fungi can be fatal."

The doctor advises pet owners to take photos of the fungi to help the experts identify the type.

"These wet-weather mushrooms can be dangerous to all animals including guinea pigs and even birds but dogs are more likely to be inquisitive," he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally published as Fatal fungi: Warning over wet-weather mushrooms


Vaccine blow: How long until life in Qld returns to normal

Premium Content Vaccine blow: How long until life in Qld returns to normal

Queensland could stay this way for a long time yet

Dead fish mysteriously wash up on Coast beaches

Premium Content Dead fish mysteriously wash up on Coast beaches

Beachgoers confronted by “distressing” scenes as dead fish wash up

Pirates pay tribute to Jake Friend’s mighty footy career

Premium Content Pirates pay tribute to Jake Friend’s mighty footy career

As the Noosa Pirates accept that the career of one of their best NRL exports has...