Harley takes title at NSW Australian Surf Festival
DESPITE narrowly escaping elimination in his open mens semi-final, 2009 ASP World longboard champion Harley Ingleby claimed the NSW title at North Boomerang Beach in the Great Lakes.
The Emerald Beach rider was able to post a 16.30 total in the final to hold out fellow Coffs Coast surfer Paul Scholten.
The talented natural-footer proved he was one of the standout performers of the event, not scoring less than 14.00 in any of his heats.
All finalists earned their spots on Team NSW for the upcoming Australian Surf Festival to be held in Coffs Harbour this August.
"This is such a consistent part of the east coast and it's been amazing to have an event here," Harley said.
"I'm stoked to win it.
"It's been a few years since I've done this event but I definitely wanted to get down here this year because of this location and the fact the Aussie titles are in my hometown.
"All the boys surfed great over the course of the final and it was awesome to share a heat with them."
Richard Smith of Sawtell was able to claim victory across the over-50 and over-45 mens longboard finals.
The six-times Australian champion locked in multiple scores in the eight and nine point range to get the nod ahead of Gary Burden (Suffolk Park) in the over-50s and John Schmidenberg (Emerald Beach) in the over-45s.
As a result, Richard has also booked a berth in the Australian Surf Festival where he will battle for a seventh title.
Coffs Coast performers
- Harley Ingleby (Emerald Beach) - won open men
- Paul Scholten (Coffs Harbour) - second open men
- Kirra Perry (Scotts Head) - fifth open women
- John Schmidenberg (Emerald Beach) - second over-40 men, second over-45 men
- Richard Smith (Sawtell) - won over-45 men, won over-50 men, won over-40 logger
- Glenn Mahoney (Emerald Beach) - third over-55 men
- Kelsey Guy (Valla Beach) - fourth over-35 women
- Jaya Guy (Valla Beach) - third under-18 logger