Light up without a permit and face tough penalties

DID you know that you will need a permit if you wish to light a fire over two metres?

Residents are required to contact their local fire warden to obtain a Permit to Light a Fire for anything over two metres in any direction, including bon fires, garden clipping burn offs or hazard reduction burns.

Gowrie Little Plains Rural Fire Brigade first officer Bruce Finlayson said the Permit to Light a Fire system ensured all burns were conducted at an appropriate time of the year, were suitably managed and emergency services were notified.

"You can obtain a free permit by contacting your local fire warden," he said. 

"They will take into consideration local conditions and weather forecasts as well as the size of the burn and what resources you have on hand.

"Tough penalties apply for people who light fires without a permit."

Mr Finlayson said hazard reduction burns aren't the only form of mitigation for residents wishing to minimise risk on their property.

"You can also prepare your property by putting in fire breaks, clearing vegetation from structures and ensuring you have sufficient firefighting equipment on hand."

Find more information on permits and to keep up to date with daily fire danger ratings at the Rural Fire Service Queensland website 

Topics:  fire queensland fire and emergency service rural fire brigade

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.