My marathon night staring down Mt Coolum bushfire

Mt Coolum resident Angus Hunter-Smith inspects where fire came close to his family home.
Mt Coolum resident Angus Hunter-Smith inspects where fire came close to his family home. Stuart Cumming

MT COOLUM resident Angus Hunter-Smith sat up all night with his brother and father as a bushfire crept towards their family home.

They joined hoses together to spray water on burning scrub about 20m past the edge of their backyard as dawn broke on Tuesday.

A bushfire which began on Monday morning spread across the top of Mt Coolum and made its way down to Mr Hunter-Smith's Camille Ct property.

"It was just coming down really slowly,” Mr Hunter-Smith said.

He said it looked quite large when it was further away about midnight.

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service rangers came past about every hour to help out and monitor the fire.

Firefighters arrived very early on Tuesday morning to completely extinguish the smouldering scrub.

Fellow Mt Coolum resident Nigel Hoar used a hose to wet down his Arlington Ct home on Monday night and again on Tuesday morning.

"We woke up this morning to four fire guys walking around our property,” Mr Hoar said.

He said they told him to remain vigilant and be aware the fire was spreading around the mountain.

"It was a worry.”

Mr Hoar and his family have lived at Mt Coolum for little more than a year since moving from their native United Kingdom.

"Being Poms, it is very unusual for us.

"But we feel confident with these (firefighting) guys.”

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service rangers cleared a break in vegetation between the mountain top and the rear of homes on Tuesday.

Sunshine Coast senior ranger Omar Bakhach said the fire was monitored throughout Monday night and crews would stay on scene until Thursday or maybe Friday.

"We won't have the fire ground unattended for the next two or three days,” Mr Bakhach said.

He said crews were not backburning to create fire breaks.

"We are not actively lighting.

"We are extinguishing the fire as it comes to us down the slopes.”

He said there had been no surprises in the way the fire had behaved.

"It's doing exactly what we wanted it to do.”

The walking track up Mt Coolum is expected to be closed until at least Wednesday afternoon.

Topics:  fire homes mt coolum queensland parks and wildlife service residents sunshine coast

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.