Park stabbing case draws to end

Mitchell Treyvaud's victim is taken to hospital after being stabbed.
Mitchell Treyvaud's victim is taken to hospital after being stabbed. Contributed

A LONG-RUNNING courtroom saga involving a caravan park stabbing, a falsely accused dingo and a deliberately disruptive defendant has finally come to an end.

Mitchell Treyvaud, 53, was yesterday sentenced to three years' jail for stabbing another man at Hervey Bay's Coconut Grove Caravan Park in January.

Treyvaud knifed his victim in the stomach, leaving him in hospital for six days with a wound that required stitches.

In the Hervey Bay District Court it was revealed that the attack stemmed from the victim questioning why Treyvaud had been loitering near the caravan park's public toilets.

Crown prosecutor Ken Spinaze said the victim was having a picnic with his family when he noticed Treyvaud at the toilet block on January 11.

When he asked why Treyvaud had been watching people enter the bathroom, Treyvaud's response was to pull out a knife and stab him.

Treyvaud frustrated judges and lawyers alike after pleading guilty to the crime in the Hervey Bay Magistrates Court but then staying silent during his arraignment in the District Court.

He went on to tell the court "the dingo did it" and on another date blamed the stabbing on Skippy the bush kangaroo.

This led Judge Leanne Clare to question Treyvaud's mental capacity and she ordered him to undergo a full psychological assessment.

On the basis of the results, Judge Hugh Botting yesterday vacated Treyvaud's plea of not guilty and went ahead with the sentence.

Treyvaud again disrupted proceedings, speaking out of turn and swearing when he disagreed with evidence.

"Get this straight, I'm not a pedophile," he said.

"I don't perve on kids like this guy's trying to make out."

Treyvaud has been jailed on numerous occasions for violent crimes.

In 2000, he fractured his partner's skull with a claw hammer and was jailed for six years, before being released on parole after two-and-a-half years.

Treyvaud had been in custody since January and Judge Botting set a parole release date for April 10, 2013.

Topics:  attack caravan park dingo hervey bay district court stabbing

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.