Police nab man for lighting burn-off in total fire ban
A 60-YEAR-OLD man will face court next month charged with lighting an unauthorised fire during a total fire ban, Taskforce Overcross has revealed.
The charges related to a burn-off in the middle of State of Fire and Emergency provisions, which have only been lifted this week.
A State of Fire and Emergency placed a total ban not only on any fire in the open, but also barbecues, power tools and slashing and mowing equipment.
A fire that burned north towards Teewah Village at the start of this month and threatened homes appeared to have started with a permitted burn-off near Johns Landing before jumping the Noosa River, volunteer firefighters have told the Sunshine Coast Daily.
It then burned back southwest, recrossing the river and damaging properties at Cooroibah before forcing an evacuation of thousands of residents from Tewantin.
Taskforce Overcross said initial information had suggested that several fires along Beach Rd last week appeared to not have been deliberately lit.
"However, investigations are continuing by Queensland Fire and Emergency Services," a taskforce spokesman said.
The man is due to face Maroochydore Magistrates Court on December 5.