A woman has died after reportedly choking on a chicken burger (not pictured). Picture: Supplied
A woman has died after reportedly choking on a chicken burger (not pictured). Picture: Supplied

Mum dies ‘choking on chicken burger’

A PERTH woman found dead in her car is believed to have died after choking on a chicken burger.

The woman reportedly bought the burger around 12.30pm and had parked in the car park at Waterford Plaza shopping centre to eat her lunch.

According to Nine News, half of a chicken burger was found in her lap.

There were believed to be no witnesses to her death.

The woman, believed to be a mother-of-three, died shortly after arriving at Royal Perth Hospital.

The Perth shopping centre where a woman was found dead in her car after reportedly choking on a chicken burger. Picture: Google Maps
The Perth shopping centre where a woman was found dead in her car after reportedly choking on a chicken burger. Picture: Google Maps

A passer by alerted authorities and the woman’s car window had to be smashed open to get to her as the car was locked.

It is also believed police do not think there was anything wrong with the burger which may have been a contributor to her death.

An autopsy will be carried out.

Deaths by choking in Australia are not uncommon.

A woman is believed to have died after choking on a chicken burger. Picture: Supplied
A woman is believed to have died after choking on a chicken burger. Picture: Supplied

According to Australian Bureau of Statistics data, in 2016, 49 people died after choking on a piece of food.

Experts report that the elderly and children are most at risk for not chewing their food properly.


Local Partners