Cavers rescued after being trapped by rising waters

THREE cavers have been rescued from the Bungonia National Park where they were trapped by rising waters for almost 24 hours.

The men aged 52, 47 and 21 entered a cave at Bungonia Gorge about 1pm Sunday and were expected home about 6pm.

One of the missing men's sisters phoned police after the trio failed to return by 10pm.

Police made verbal contact with the men about 11am and by 2pm, all three had been rescued.

The men told police that conditions had deteriorated while they were below ground and water had flooded the caves.

Goulburn Local Area Commander, Superintendent Zoran Dzevlan said the rescue operation had been a challenge and praised those involved for their efforts.

He said while the men were experienced cavers and well-equipped for their adventure, it was important to note that they had told family members about where they were going, should something go wrong.

 

Rescue operation under way

A RESCUE operation is underway in the Bungonia National Park where three cavers have been trapped since yesterday.

The men aged 52, 47 and 21 entered a cave at Bungonia Gorge about 1pm Sunday and were expected home about 6pm.

One of the missing men's sisters phoned police after the trio failed to return by 10pm.

Police made verbal contact with the men about 11am and it's believed the rescue operation could take several hours.


FULL LIST: Noosa Magistrates Court appearances today

Premium Content FULL LIST: Noosa Magistrates Court appearances today

Here is a list of matters listed at Noosa Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

Qld’s grim status as fatal shark attack capital of world

Premium Content Qld’s grim status as fatal shark attack capital of world

Worldwide study puts Australia as deadliest place for shark attacks

Climate cost: State’s disaster bill to hit $60b a year

Premium Content Climate cost: State’s disaster bill to hit $60b a year

Climate change to cost Queensland $60b every year by 2038