E.coli detected in water supply
A THOUSAND homes in Logan have been advised to boil their drinking water following the detection of E.coli in the local water supply on Thursday.
The Logan City Council released a message for Cedar Grove residents to boil their tap water used for drinking, or to use bottled water until told otherwise.
Australian Drinking Water Guidelines specify no Escherichia coli, normally found in the faeces of humans or other warm-blooded animals, should be present in 100ml of drinking water.
"Detection of E. coli in the drinking water system is a serious issue," the guidelines state.
"At the conclusion of any incident, a debrief should be held to assess the problem and response."
Logan Council said they are working closely with Queensland Health to resolve the issue, and are performing additional testing until the situation is resolved.
"This may take up to two days," the statement read.
"This precautionary boil water notice will stay in effect until the Logan City Council and Queensland Health are confident there is no public health concern."
The notice applies to all residents in the Cedar Vale and Woodhill areas. Residents affected should follow the advice from the Council below.
Consuming unboiled drinking water could lead to illness, especially for vulnerable people such as the very young, elderly or immune compromised. People should use cooled boiled water or bottled water for:
• brushing teeth
• washing and preparing food or beverages
• preparing baby formula
• making ice
• bathing infants.
Unboiled drinking water can be used for:
• showering and bathing other than infants (but minimise water in the mouth)
• washing dishes by hand or in a dishwasher, provided dishes are air-dried
• washing clothes
• flushing toilets.
People should bring drinking water to a boil and then allow water to cool before using it or storing it in a clean, closed container for later use. Kettles with automatic cut-off switches are suitable for producing boiled water. Variable temperature kettles should be set to boil.