Mahmoud Hrouk, left, was murdered in 'the most horrific of crimes' by Aymen Terkmani, right.
Mahmoud Hrouk, left, was murdered in 'the most horrific of crimes' by Aymen Terkmani, right.

Teen boy was sexually abused then bashed to death

A FEW hours before he sexually assaulted and bludgeoned a Sydney teenager to death, Aymen Terkmani walked into Fairfield police station.

He was a man with a violent criminal history and was facing serious drug supply charges but a magistrate had released him on bail due on the condition he reported to the western Sydney police station every day of the week. Another condition of his bail was that he could not leave home unless in the company of his father.

About two hours later Terkmani met up with 16-year-old Mahmoud Hrouk at Villawood McDonald's where the pair picked up dinner from the drive-through.

He later lured the young labourer and aspiring football player to a vacant house on Belmore Street, East Fairfield where he did what homicide detectives have described as the most horrific of crimes.


Mahmoud’s body was found in a vacant house.
Mahmoud’s body was found in a vacant house.

Today a jury found Terkmani, 24, guilty of sexually assaulting Mahmoud, strangling him and beating him with a with a rolling pin and toaster inside the property on the night of May 16, 2015.

When the foreperson said the word "guilty," Mahmoud's mother, Maha Dunia, cried and rocked back and forth as she clenched the hand of the officer in charge - Detective Sergeant Christian Olivares.

After hearing the verdict Terkmani - who was dressed in grey suit with a striped tie - sat down in the dock and bowed his head. He has never admitted to the crime and his father claimed he was at home at the time of the murder.

As photographers tried to take his picture leaving the courthouse he buried his head in his hands - something he had done for the entirety of the three week NSW Supreme Court trial.

Now convicted, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Terkmani was a known drug dealer and shortly after his arrest for Mahmoud's murder he assaulted a fellow inmate at Parklea Correctional Centre.

Mahmoud’s iPhone was found dumped in a drain.
Mahmoud’s iPhone was found dumped in a drain.

Just before he stood trial for the murder of Mahmoud he was sentenced to seven months' jail after he was found guilty of causing actual bodily harm on August 8, 2015.

What the jury also did not know was that Terkmani was convicted for supplying drugs on an ongoing basis and was sentenced to a minimum 2 ½ year jail sentence in May last year.

During the murder trial the court heard how Terkmani was the last person seen with Mahmoud and his DNA was found on the toaster and rolling pin found at the murder scene.

Police also found a blood-stained five dollar note inside Terkmani's bum bag which matched the DNA of Mahmoud but they never found the clothes Terkmani was seen wearing at Fairfield police station.

Ms Dunia also told the jury of how she had found her son's blue bicycle outside Terkmani's house and Azzam Hrouk explained how when he first confronted his son's killer, he denied even knowing Mahmoud.

The Crown called several witnesses which proved Terkmani had been using the vacant department of Housing property to host gatherings, play pool, smoke cannabis and even once entertained an escort there.

Terkmani is expected to face a sentencing hearing on October 27.

Throughout the trial Ms Dunia told the jury about how her son had explained he was with a friend called Aymen when his phone cut out at 9.42pm and she never heard from him ever again.

"Where are you? Come home!" she said.

"It's OK Mum, I'm with my friend … I've got my bike … I will come home," Mahmoud H replied.

Mama Dunia addresses the media outside court.
Mama Dunia addresses the media outside court.

The teenager told his mother he was with a friend called "Aymen" and gave her an address but the phone cut out abruptly.

In his opening address, Crown prosecutor Adrian Robertson said the young teenager had spent the day working with his uncle and had asked permission from his father to ride his bicycle to get dinner.

There was CCTV footage which showed Mahmoud and the accused sitting in a ute at the fast food restaurant at 6.22pm.

The Crown case also relied on evidence which would show Terkmani was the last person seen with the boy about 7.30pm on the night of his death.

After Mahmoud's phone call ended abruptly with his mother and he was not contactable, his family walked the streets and door-knocked a number of houses in the area.

One of the houses was the family home of Terkmani, who came outside with his father about 4.30am on May 17.

Terkmani told the father of the deceased that he had last seen him at a friend's house nearby.

"The Crown case is that the accused lied about leaving the deceased with [friends at another house ] and this was a deliberate lie - it was a lie about a significant matter," Mr Robertson told the court

"On the Crown case this was a lie told with the consciousness of guilt of him having killed the deceased."

Defence barrister Mark Austin said Terkmani's father had told police his son was at home at the time of the alleged murder.

"In this case, the position of this accused will be, 'I had nothing to do with this killing and for this death. I wasn't an individual who committed these acts'," he said.

The jury heard that Mahmoud was found by family members, naked from the waist down inside a Belmore Street house.

Police found his satchel nearby which contained his asthma puffer, a silver chain and $54 in cash.

Days later police also found Mahmoud's iPhone dumped in a drain not fair from the vacant house but his pants and Nike shoes were never recovered.

News Corp Australia

Voters quick out of blocks with record early turnout

Premium Content Voters quick out of blocks with record early turnout

Historic surge in early voting could kill off the democracy sausage

Noosa Magistrates Court appearances today

Premium Content Noosa Magistrates Court appearances today

Here is a list of matters listed at Noosa Magistrates Court

Millions in COVID fines, penalties unpaid

Premium Content Millions in COVID fines, penalties unpaid

Nine out of 10 people issued with COVID penalty have not paid