Tom Brady is on the move.
Tom Brady is on the move.

Tom Brady’s next destination revealed

Tom Brady will reportedly play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next season.

The legendary NFL quarterback announced overnight he was leaving the New England Patriots, who he's played with for 20 years.

ESPN's Adam Schefter and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport were among those to report Brady will join the Bucs. Rapoport reported Brady had agreed, in principle, to a deal worth $US30 million ($AUD50 million) a year.

 

Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht told ESPN.com on Tuesday afternoon that the two sides spoke earlier in the week, but they were "waiting to see what Tom decides just like everybody else".

It looks like Brady has finally made his decision.

The six-time Super Bowl champion and three-time MVP will join an offence that features weapons like receivers Mike Evans and Chris Godwin and tight ends OJ Howard and Cameron Brate.

There are already rumours circulating that wide receiver Antonio Brown, whose availability depends on the league's investigation into sexual assault accusations, might join Brady in Tampa Bay.

Brady will get to play in head coach Bruce Arians' high-flying offence that is known for letting his quarterbacks show off their talent.

The Buccaneers, who last won a Super Bowl in 2002, went 7-9 last season and are 71-121 since their last post-season berth in 2007. But the arrival of Brady will instantly make them a contender in the NFC South.

The LA Chargers may have been another attractive destination for Brady, particularly with them entering their first season playing in a major market. Being in Los Angeles seemed like a fit for Brady, who recently launched a production company with an eye toward his post-playing days.

But the Buccaneers entered the off-season flush in salary cap space, and after solidifying their defence by franchise tagging Shaq Barrett and re-signing Jason Pierre-Paul on Monday, they landed the ultimate prize on offence in Brady.

 

Brady, 42, had previously signalled his intention to continue playing into his mid-40s and the hype about where he would be next season was the hottest topic in the NFL. The football icon answered one question by releasing a statement early on Wednesday morning (AEDT) confirming he was leaving the Patriots.

"Although my football journey will take place elsewhere, I appreciate everything that we have achieved and am grateful for our incredible TEAM accomplishments," Brady said.

"I don't know what my football future holds but it is time for me to open a new stage for my life and career."

His announcement sparked an outpouring of tributes from fans, players, and Patriots coach Bill Belichick and owner Robert Kraft.

"It has been a privilege to coach Tom Brady for 20 years," Belichick said. "He didn't just perform. He didn't just win. He won championships over and over again.

"Sometimes in life, it takes some time to pass before truly appreciating something or someone but that has not been the case with Tom."

Kraft added: "How do I possibly sum up the depth of my gratitude to Tom Brady for what he's given us these past 20 years, or the sadness I feel knowing it's ending?

"I love Tom like a son and I always will.

"I had hoped this day would never come, but rather that Tom would end his remarkable career in a Patriots uniform after yet another Super Bowl championship.

"Unfortunately, the two sides were unable to reach an agreement to allow that dream to become a reality.

"While sad today, the overwhelming feeling I have is appreciation for his countless contributions to our team and community."

With NY Post


Planned burn scheduled for Coast national park

premium_icon Planned burn scheduled for Coast national park

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services are due to carry out a 80ha planned national...

Bin service delayed over truck safety issue

premium_icon Bin service delayed over truck safety issue

Sunshine Coast residents are being advised to expect delays with council’s regular...

COVID case who avoided quarantine ‘not a consular official’

premium_icon COVID case who avoided quarantine ‘not a consular official’

Man who avoided mandatory quarantine was not in fact a consular official – DFAT